The body of Pvt. Mejhor Morta was found on July 17th, authorities said.

An investigation is ongoing into the death of a 26-year-old Fort Hood soldier found unresponsive in a tank of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, government and local officials said.

Pvt. Mejhor Morta was found on July 17 after a fisherman called 911 to report seeing what he believed was a body at the base of a dam, according to a statement from the Bell County Sheriff’s Office, who is investigating .

Morta was not present for service on the morning of July 16, prompting a search of the unit area, said the Fort Hood public affairs office in a statement. His unit also contacted friends and relatives in their search efforts before Morta was eventually found dead a few hours later, shortly after midnight on July 17th, officials said.

He was not classified as AWOL at the time of his death, the office said.

Although investigations are ongoing, preliminary autopsy results show that the cause of death is consistent with drowning, officials said.

“The Black Knight’s family is truly heartbroken by the tragic loss of the private Mejhor Morta. I would like to send my deepest condolences to his family, friends and loved ones,” Lieutenant Colonel Neil Armstrong said in a statement. “My thoughts and prayers are with them in this difficult moment. The Private Morta was a great Soldier and this loss is felt by every member of our formation.”

Morta, whose record company was listed in Pensacola, Florida, joined the army in September 2019 as a Bradley Fighting Vehicle mechanic. From May 2020, he had been assigned to the 1st Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment, 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division.

Morta’s death marks third for base in a month.

On June 19, skeletal remains based on an anonymous tip were found near Fort Hood and subsequently identified as Pvt. Gregory Wedel-Morales, who was last seen on August 19.

Human remains were discovered near Fort Hood and later on July 1st identified like Vanessa Guillen, a 20-year-old missing soldier. A suspect in the case, 20-year-old army specialist Aaron Robinson, died of suicide as officials joined him. Another suspect, 22-year-old Cecily Aguilar, Robinson’s girlfriend, is accused of helping him get rid of Guillen’s body. She was accused of a conspiracy count for tampering with evidence.

Aguilar is held in prison without bond. She pleaded not guilty.

ABC News’s Christina Carrega, Meredith Deliso, Luis Martinez, Stephanie Ramos and Alondra Valle contributed to this report.

Source link