Actually, the dearth of robotics expertise is the soiled little secret that we within the robotics trade don’t inform you—the manufacturing trade—once we say robots will assist clear up your labor scarcity points.
It’s true that robots may also help you do extra with much less folks, assuaging the labor scarcity challenge. However it’s additionally attainable that you simply would possibly simply commerce this problem for an excellent more durable one: discovering folks expert in robotics.
That’s why I all the time suggest factories put money into easy-to-deploy applied sciences, like cobots, to allow them to each clear up their guide labor scarcity AND upskill their folks with extra accessible robotics know-how.
With covid-19, there at the moment are much more causes to automate on prime of the labor scarcity challenge—enterprise continuity, and bodily distancing of staff, being the highest issues amongst producers I’m talking with as of late.
In a latest article, I defined what you need to do proper now for cobot deployment. Some factories are in a state of affairs the place they should deploy robots rapidly. Many others are evaluating much more initiatives however don’t but have a finances to pursue them.
In each circumstances, now’s the proper time to develop your robotics expertise.
Why enhance your robotics skillset now?
Isn’t it essential to construct all expertise on the manufacturing flooring, not simply the robotics-related ones? Sure; in an ideal world, everybody could be educated in all the pieces that might have a optimistic impact on their work. However none of us have infinite time or assets for coaching, so we’ve to decide on.
Right here’s why robotics expertise must be excessive on your corporation’s listing of priorities.
- Robots can impression your entire manufacturing facility. Robots are like computer systems: normal machines that may execute varied processes. You have already got computer systems on the desks of your engineers, executives, accountants, and transport personnel. Equally, you’ll ultimately see robots within the packing/unpacking, meeting, high quality management, and logistics areas. Your funding in robotics expertise has the potential to repay all through the manufacturing facility by making quite a few features extra environment friendly.
- Robotics expertise are mandatory to maximise your robotic ROI. Deploying robotic cells with your individual in-house group drastically lowers the price of deployment, upkeep, and upgrading. Even if you happen to delegate your initiatives to exterior system integrators, your undertaking will likely be significantly better managed in case you have just a few expert workers, since your group will embrace just a few individuals who perceive the know-how. Nonetheless, if you happen to and your group don’t have any robotics expertise in any respect, you’ll be extremely depending on exterior assets and also you’ll be susceptible to going with selections that aren’t in your finest curiosity.
- Restricted robotics expertise put your corporation in danger. If just one key worker is aware of the right way to function robots, this creates a single level of failure in your system. So it’s simply as essential to put money into a resilient, educated group as it’s to put money into the robotics tools itself.
To efficiently deploy a robotic cell, you want group members with robotics expertise, undertaking administration expertise, and deep data of your manufacturing course of.
The primary robotics and undertaking administration expertise your group wants are outlined under.
|PROJECT MANAGEMENT SKILLS||With this talent, you’ll be able to:|
|Robotic cell deployment undertaking administration||
– Outline a robotic cell deployment undertaking.|
– Assemble and mobilize the group to execute the undertaking efficiently.
|DESIGN SKILLS||With this talent, you’ll be able to:|
|Handbook activity mapping||– Doc how a guide course of is presently accomplished with the data that will likely be wanted to design the robotic cell.|
|Robotic cell idea||
Develop a high-level robotic cell idea:|
– Draft the format.
|Robotic activity mapping||– Doc how a given course of will likely be accomplished with a robotic cell.|
|Handbook-to-robotic hole evaluation||
– Examine the guide cell with the robotic cell maps.|
– Determine modifications that will likely be wanted upstream and downstream of the cell.
– Determine modifications in data transmission when going from a guide to robotic cell.
|Robotic cell design||Do the robotic cell engineering work, by creating:|
|Robotic cell security||
– Execute a security threat evaluation.|
– Strategize to scale back the chance to an acceptable stage.
|INTEGRATE SKILLS||With this talent you’ll be able to:|
|Mechanical set up||– Assemble the robotic cell parts following design directions.|
|Electrical set up||– Assemble the robotic cell parts following design directions.|
|Industrial communication||– Interface completely different machines and sensors to allow them to talk with one another.|
– Give the robotic directions.|
– Carry out logic programming.
|Course of adaptation||– Adapt a guide course of so it may be accomplished by a robotic.|
|OPERATE SKILLS||With this talent, you’ll be able to:|
|Troubleshooting||– Determine issues within the robotic cell and clear up them.|
|Upkeep||– Substitute worn-out parts.|
|Optimizing||– Carry out steady enchancment on the cell to extend its productiveness.|
Within the desk above, the objects in rows with white backgrounds are normal expertise—they don’t rely upon a selected vendor or piece of know-how.
In the meantime, the objects in rows with gray backgrounds are extra explicit to the particular know-how or piece of apparatus you’re engaged on. For instance, simply because you’ll be able to program one model of robotic, doesn’t imply you’ll be able to program one other model’s merchandise. Some ideas will likely be related, however there may even be loads of directions within the robotic languages that differ from each other.
Which expertise must you and your group members concentrate on buying? To reply this query, begin by assessing the present talent stage in your group.
Reply these questions for every merchandise within the desk above:
- Who in your group has this talent?
- How important is that this talent?
- In the event you have been to lose the group member(s) with this talent, how detrimental would the impact be in your cell deployment (particularly by way of value and productiveness)?
- If a group member gained this talent, how optimistic would the impact be in your cell deployment?
A template is on the market right here.
No matter the way you rank the talents, you shouldn’t begin deploying robots with out a fundamental capability to deal with the start (guide activity mapping) and finish (troubleshooting, upkeep) of the deployment cycle.
Handbook activity mapping is a device for evaluating potential robotic cell initiatives. In the event you work with system integrators, documenting your current cell course of with a guide activity map will assist you talk effectively.
When you’ve accomplished just a few mapping workouts and the related idea work (both in-house or with the assistance of exterior assets) your group can have a greater sense of what’s attainable to attain with robots.
The center of the deployment cycle brings out the extra “hardcore” robotics expertise, together with design, engineering, and programming. Creating these expertise from the bottom up requires a big funding, however it’s completely doable and may carry a big payoff.
Actually, these expertise make up the majority of the fee when a system integrator does a undertaking for you. Creating these expertise lets you deploy robotic cells internally, and simply as essential, allows you to modify your early robotic cells to maintain tempo as your manufacturing wants evolve.
To develop these expertise, you’ll rent new workers or practice current ones—or each.
In the event you’re ranging from scratch and your automation engineering group is already stretched skinny over many initiatives, look to rent an skilled engineer who already has these hardcore robotics expertise. Discover somebody who can perceive the nitty-gritty facets of the undertaking whereas seeing the massive image—somebody with nice communication and instructing expertise for sharing data with the prevailing group and future hires.
Needless to say lots of the expertise you’re looking for on this individual will likely be depending on a selected vendor or piece of know-how. Be sure the candidate can apply these expertise to new applied sciences and that they’re keen to work with new distributors, not simply outdated favorites. The applied sciences they used up to now won’t be the precise ones you want, so discover somebody who’s open-minded about robotic options.
In case your current group has the time and skill to focus, and fundamental technical background, they’re in a position to be taught robotics expertise. The easiest way to be taught is by doing, so have your group decide up expertise whereas they work on initiatives. Begin with easy deployments, and permit sufficient time within the schedule for the preliminary gradual progress alongside the educational curve. Collaborating with exterior system integrators is an effective way to construct expertise whereas getting concrete short-term outcomes. With each undertaking accomplished this fashion, bear in mind to outline prematurely the particular expertise you’re aiming to have your group develop.
The content material above comes from the e-book Lean Robotics: A Information to Making Robots Work in Your Manufacturing facility. Develop your expertise additional by studying the e-book (free obtain, Amazon) or listening to the audiobook.
We additionally supply free software coaching on our eLearning platform, in addition to on-line group coaching.
Identical to in sports activities, the robotics expertise wanted on the manufacturing facility flooring are hands-on, thus they require learning-by-doing. You’ll be able to have the perfect basketball participant lecture you on the right way to throw the ball, however you received’t be any good at it with out time on the court docket.
That’s why my prime advice is to determine a easy first undertaking and begin studying by doing.